Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Rock's Children!!

Hi! I am DJ Rudra, the DJ at Toons, one of the last places still there for rock. And beer, but well, rock comes first.


The setting is the cafe down under, the time is now... the air is thick and the energy is electrifying. The stage is set for an evening of music, beer and happiness. As is often the case, the evening starts off slow, with a gradual build up to rock 'n' roll. As the voice of Plant jumps from the speakers, and John keeps 3/4th time under the cymbals, I search the crowd for recognition. Not for me, but for the song, it's Black Dog, a jumpy track, capturing the essence of the rock 'n' roll experience... One, two, five....as the number of people infected by the song's rhythm grows, one person comes up to me and asks me the name of the song. Success! One more person, exposed to the wonders of Zep. Then enters Jim. Everyone knows Jim. Everybody loves Jim. Let it roll, baby, roll...let it roll, all night long.


The crowd is swaying, and not all of it is for that sweet sweet brew. As the mood changes to the current crop, some old tunes and some new ones come together, to tell the tale of many broken hearts. Though the music may be up-tempo, the lyrics tell a sad tale....of hearts broken, dreams shattered and of a generally melancholic existence. I have this against modern rock. Not to the limits where I want to cut myself to see how it bleeds, but enough to wonder where the happiness is gone. But then again, rock is a venting of frustration, so I let it go. But there is this about waking up when september ends...it does make them happy. Hateful songs too, evoke positive responses, so I guess one man's pain is another man's elixir.


Heads bang, arms wave, feet bounce...DU hast mich...You have me...Now the anger pours out, freeing your subconscious from the burden you carry everyday, searching for a place to unload. Welcome..to our corner of the world.


A little more of the tech/industrial sounds and it's time for the masters to come out and play. Headlining today is Iron Maiden, and for a brief period of time, Fear reigns supreme. Though maxing out the vocals, I see defiance in their eyes....


I am not afraid of the Dark! I am rock's child..... and Darkness shall never touch me!!



No comments: